How does Mac Classifier work?
Boldon James Mac Classifier brings the benefits of user-centric data classification to organisations using Mac devices, supporting each user in correctly classifying documents and emails as they are worked on within the Microsoft Office for Mac applications. Visual markings appear on emails and documents to ensure awareness of data safeguarding responsibilities and metadata markings drive your security and information management solutions. Classification schemes can be set up to reflect your organisation’s data policy or industry regulations.
Mac Classifier is unique in incorporating classification across the Microsoft Office for Mac suite, extending the user experience of the key applications of Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Seamless integration with Microsoft Office for Mac Suite
Users can easily and intuitively classify documents and emails within Microsoft Office for Mac Suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint – making classification a simple process that quickly becomes second nature.
Document classification moulded to your business
Mac Classifier can be configured to meet the needs and challenges of your data security policy. Extensive configuration options enable you to select how data is classified, how much input the user should have in classifying a document, and how a classified document is treated and protected.
Increasing staff awareness of the value of data
Using Mac Classifier to Involve your workforce in the classification of data you will see a greater awareness of the value of your data among your workforce and a more consistent application of your organisation’s policies.
Control unstructured information
By classifying data it becomes possible to control files that are otherwise unstructured, so you can protect important data more effectively and store and retrieve it more easily.
Giving you confidence in your compliance
Through applying a consistent and thorough classification system you can be confident that sensitive data stays within your company and any policy violations are immediately flagged for remediation, ensuring you stay compliant.
Driving improved ROI on existing data prevention software
Improve your return on investment from other solutions, such as data loss prevention, when you use Mac Classifier.
By setting up rules within Mac Classifier which drive the decisions made by your existing data prevention solution, your data protection policy becomes more systematic and reliable.
- Visual markings are applied to the content of documents and Outlook messages. You can configure where the markings will appear, their formatting, syntax and any dynamic placeholders, such as the username or date
- Classifications are recorded as metadata within Office document properties – providing a valuable additional context for use by Data Loss Prevention (DLP) and Data Retention solutions.
- Details of attached files, including their classification, can be appended to an email – providing an attachment history and maintaining awareness of the original content, even when printed.
- A user can be required to classify each message or document – automating compliance with data protection policies.
- The classification of a message can be used to control who is allowed to receive it, by using classification permissions assigned to particular external domains.
- Ensures the classification of a message adequately reflects the classification of any attachments – including any nested content, whether inside another email or a zipped archive.
- Use classification metadata to improve the accuracy of DLP solutions, accelerate implementation projects and reduce frustrating false positives.
- The Classifier Administration console unifies the policy configuration of all Classifier products, including Mac Classifier – handling policies from the simple to complex, ensuring a quick implementation with the minimum of expertise.