Nowadays, the threat of a data breach is a very, very real one. It seems that a day does not go by without news of a business that has been breached. This is because all companies have data that is valuable to cyber criminals. It is up to you to protect this data, and one way to do so is with a data classification program. Below, we take a look at the top five benefits of data classification.
- Reduce the risk of a data breach – There is only one place to begin, and this is with the fact that you will increase cyber security by utilising data classification tools. By getting to grips with your data, you will be best placed to make decisions regarding data protection and what types of data require high levels of security.
- Reduce data storage costs – You can also save a considerable amount of money. This is because a lot of businesses are storing data that they do not even need. By being more efficient, you can expect your costs to reduce.
- Achieve compliance – It is worth noting that there are lots of legislations regarding cyber security and data protection. If you do not adhere to these rules, you could find yourself in serious trouble. Data classifications make it easier for you to gain control and ensure you are being fully compliant.
- Data policy awareness – Once your company has better control over your data, your employees will be best placed to adhere to the data protection policy you have in place.
- Involve your employees in the process – Did you know that insider breaches are on the rise? This is often because employees make errors that result in accidental data loss. A data classification program allows you to include your employees, and this can have a huge benefit.